Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Mulled Cranberry Sauce

I found this recipe in a Bon Appetit magazine. I didn't know that cranberries were indiginous to the U.S. until I lived in Europe. Thankfully I'm able to talk someone into hand carrying a bag over in the Fall so that I can freeze them and use them for Thanksgiving. This isn't Italian, obviously because of the cranberrys, but I'm sure if Italians did anything with cranberrys they would cook them in wine! It is so good that I could sit down and eat a bowl of it.

1 12 once bag cranberries
1 1/2 cups fruity red wine
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup crystallized ginger
1 Tablespoon grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat stirring until sugar dissolves. The recipe says to "reduce heat to medium and cook until liquid is reduced to 2 2/3 cups, stirring occasionally about 12 minutes" but it takes a little longer for me it seems and I don't measure but just watch until it starts to look thicker. It will thicken more as it cools. Transfer suace to bowl. Refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours. Can be prepared 1 week ahead. Cover, keep chilled.

1 comment:

  1. The best cranberry sauce ever!!! Perfect blend of sweet and tart by my taste buds :)

    ReplyDelete